Graphics / GIS Technician
Aspect Ecology has an excellent opportunity for a full time, permanent Graphics / GIS Technician to join the in-house graphics team.
The principal role of the Graphics / GIS Technician is to support the ecology team by providing technical drawings and graphics as required for client projects. The majority of the workload involves preparation of standard plans and graphics that accompany most of our reports, including:
- Site Location Plans – based on Ordnance Survey mapping of the area.
- Ecological Designations Plans – also based on OS mapping, and using information from online sources and data received from local records centres.
- Habitats and Features Plans – a detailed plan showing the different habitats and ecological features on a site based on survey information collected by our ecologists.
- Compile detailed measurements of existing and proposed sites using QGIS and exporting to Excel.
- Photograph sheets – collating photographs from site surveys conducted by ecologists.
- Other examples of the graphics workload include:
- Creating a number of plans to accompany a Bat Licence, including plans illustrating the locations of surveyors, bat roosts and other survey findings.
- Breeding bird survey plans – detailed plans to depict the number of bird species found at a site and their categories of conservation importance.
- Ecological Enhancements plans – to highlight the ecological benefits of the proposed site.
- Presentation boards – designed for specific sites that require public exhibitions.
Supervision and training will initially be provided by our existing Technicians. Thereafter, the new Technician will work closely with the rest of the team, including the Graphics and IT Team Lead. The Graphics Team benefit from line management from one of our Technical Directors.
- Produce accurate and high-quality professional plans to budget and deadline, primarily using QGIS, and other Graphics as and when required.
- Assist in desktop studies and data searches.
- Assist with general I.T. matters across the company.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the company website.
- Liaise/communicate effectively with colleagues.
- Ability to follow instructions/briefs with a high level of attention to detail.
- Able to prioritise work.
- Ability to multitask.
- Work to tight deadlines, sometimes last minute.
- Work under pressure.
- Work efficiently to budget.
- Manage own workload.
- Prepare technical drawings and graphics.
- I.T. skills.
- Creative flair and ability to present information in a visually attractive way.
- A team player with a friendly and pleasant personality.
- Previous experience of QGIS, AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office
- Photo editing and manipulation skills
- Knowledge of WordPress, web hosting and domain management
- Advanced I.T. skills / Helpdesk experience
- Data storage management / backup experience
The starting salary for this role is £23,000 per annum, however a higher starting salary is available commensurate with skill level and previous experience.
To apply, please submit your CV, covering letter and portfolio to: email@example.com